There are for sure hundreds of good accommodations for motorbike travelers in the Dolomite area. There have to be, because the number of motorcycle travelers in this alpine region constantly grows from year to year. Some magazines advertise these hotels and motorcycle hotel chains and many hotels have now recognized that the motorcycle tourist is an important target group for revenues and growth. I can remember the eighties, when these hotels ignored motorcycle travelers as rockers or hippies. Times change.
Our recommendation is an accommodation in the dolomites, which must fulfill the following criteria of a motorcycle hotel:
- All Dolomite pass roads should be in the range of day tours, easy and central accessible.
- The accommodation should not be located in the tourism region for central Dolomites
- Location should have at least 3,000ft. altitude above sea level, so that the summer heat of northern Italy is not so extreme.
- None of the well-known motorcycle accommodations did fit, since those are mostly overcrowded and too anonym.
- Somewhat located apart and run familiar, with good meal and a price below 45,- Euro for half-board
- Safe and locked parking for the motorcycles
- Landlords that stand for motorcycle travelers.
We found this accommodation in the village Steinegg, or in Italian called Collepietra. This hotel is the meeting point of the local motorbike riders from this village that meet here nearly every evening for a glass of beer or red vine with Sepp the landlord at the bar. The meals are outstanding and huge, the price is absolutely ok and they offer different variations of accommodation, apartments and group arrangements. Starting with a single room, up to apartments for 6 persons, thus ideally for motorcycle travel groups. If the place is full, then additional accommodations are offered around Pension Berghang for motorcycle travelers just a view minutes walk around the house and the landlord helps to manage all arrangements.
Also the journey to Pension Berghang can be made already across the most beautiful Alps pass roads:
Coming from the Engadine (Switzerland), over Zernez, the Ofen pass road, then in the Val Müstair valley take a right in the village Santa Maria to the Umbrail pass road and the Stilfserjoch pass, down into the Vinschgau valley passing and Merano, Bolzano and Blumau, up to Steinegg.
- Coming from the Engadine (Switzerland), over St.Moritz, the Bernina pass road, Bormio, Gavia pass, Passo Tonale, Mendel pass down to Bolzano, Blumau up to Steinegg.
- From Innsbruck coming over the old Brenner pass route, then take a left in Blumau up to Steinegg.
Oh, I nearly forgot. If you have taken the exit in Blumau and you leave the valley, the road will lead you through fifteen zigzags far up on to a kind of plateau to Steinegg. In Steinegg you drive just straight forward, across the village square and up another turn. The accommodation is then on the right hand side of the road.
From Steinegg all Dolomite passes can either be accessed through the Eisacktal valley and the Karer pass road or you can choose the more beautiful road by using the almost traffic-free Tiersertal valley and the Niger pass road.
For more information just refer to the website of Hotel Berghang.